Your Next Lamp Purchase: Tread Cautiously

Cree LED Soft White 60w Replacement (9.5w)

Cree LED Soft White 60w Replacement (9.5w)

Happy New Year.  Welcome to 2014.  As of January 1st, Edison’s incandescent A-lamp (40w & 60w) is now considered “illegal,” while recreational marijuana use in Colorado is not.  We have officially entered the new age.

You’ve probably been hearing about the incandescent light bulb ban for a while.  75w (and above) lamps have been gone for some time, but these lower wattage lamp bans are hitting home in a much more personal way.  As part of this global sustainable firm, I am excited about the energy savings that will occur as people purchase new lamp alternatives.  But as a person who enjoys (and demands) high quality lighting environments, I am, in fact, scared.   To save energy, I would much rather dim my home’s lighting down to warm incandescence than use the same energy for a bright, harsh, blue & flat ambiance.

Last weekend, I picked up all the lamps I could find at Home Depot.  I’ve prepared a vignette (Incandescent Lamp Alternatives) that shows the (sometimes) minor & (sometimes) major differences associated with incandescent, halogen, compact fluorescent & LED lamps.  It’s very difficult to convey lighting quality in pictures, but I tried.  I’ll refrain from passing too much judgment (after all, the market will speak for itself), but I’ll say I was surprised to not be totally & completely hopeless about the future.  But I’m still a little scared.

Good luck to you.  Tread Cautiously.

PS – Here is a clip from the Today show last week:

8 Comments
  1. January 10th, 2014 - 2:19 pm
    Vincent said:

I love how at the end of the today show clip where there was actual information being displayed she was cut off…. Oh well, back to trial and error. I like your vignette! Lighting really does make such a big impact on color and general well being. I would be good to post a small EDU number on the lumen/kelvin talk and how to be aware of too bright bulbs that may cause havoc on your eyesight and migraines…
    Thanks DAVID!

2. January 10th, 2014 - 8:21 pm

What a great idea to show each of the lamp types in the context of a room, with the lamp shade on and off. Very informative. I’m a big halogen fan, but am warming up to LED’s as the technology gets better.

3. January 12th, 2014 - 6:07 am

I wonder how the alternatives work with dimmer switches. I bought a very good supply of 60w last month.

4. January 16th, 2014 - 8:24 am

By the way, upon continued testing, the Cree lamp has significant flicker when dimmed with my standard dimmer.

5. January 17th, 2014 - 10:10 am

There was a run on the old bulbs at Home Depot and stuff here in California during the end of the year. The tough thing is that I end up turning more lights on because the new ones are so dim.

6. January 23rd, 2014 - 6:34 pm

Great comparison of lamp types, and timely. Thanks!

7. March 10th, 2014 - 11:36 am

The tough thing about this is that the new lights are so dim that you have to turn on 2 to get enough light in the room.

8. July 16th, 2014 - 4:48 pm

Amen Greg! I find myself turning on more lights to make up for the dimmer low energy bulbs. Hopefully that gets better with time!

Comments Post a Comment

HOK encourages comments to be short and to the point; as a general rule, they should not run longer than the original post. Comments should show a courteous regard for the presence of other voices in the discussion. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments that do not adhere to this standard.